Friday, December 12, 2008


Welcome to my home. It is a very chilly morning here, but we are trying to keep warm while keeping our thermostat down to. All those afghans I have made are coming in handy.




Since this is the season for sharing, I wanted to share a couple of recipes with you. This is one of my son’s favorite snacks during the holiday season. I renamed it after him and don’t remember the original name, so it is Jordan’s Crunch.



Jordan’s Crunch

4 c. bite sized shredded wheat biscuits
2 c. unsalted peanuts (dry roasted)
½ c. cooking oil
1/8 tsp. hot pepper sauce
½ c. parmesan cheese
2 tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. garlic powder
4 c. unsalted pretzels

Combine shredded wheat and peanuts in 9 x 13 pan. Stir together cooking oil and hot pepper sauce, drizzle over cereal mixture, tossing to coat evenly. Stir together parmesan, chili powder and garlic powder, toss with cereal mixture. Bake in a 300 degree oven for 10 minutes. Stir in pretzels and bake 10 minutes more or a little longer.


I have a small collection of cookie jars that my mother has given me over the years for Christmas. I thought I would show them to you today. I'm sorry for the poor picture quality. Hopefully, you can't see the dust.


Another recipe that I think is good for entertaining is this cheese ball. Again, for lack of an official name it shall be called:

Judy’s Cheese Ball

2 pkgs. Cream cheese
1 ½ tsp garlic powder
1 ½ tsp Accent
1 bunch green onion, chopped
1 pkg. Carl Buddig’s beef, chopped

Mix all together, shape into a ball and roll in chopped nuts, if desired. Chill




I appreciate you stopping by for a visit today. Let us remember this is the season for giving, giving love, that is. Let’s give love extravagantly. A hug, a smile, an encouraging word, these things mean so much to others and cost us nothing.


Enjoy the season,

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe's, Twyla! I have a recipe named "Grandma Sorensen's cookies." I like recipes like that. They have character and memories.

I used to have kitchen cupboards similar to yours- with display space up on top. I loved decorating up there but yeah, dust up there? No, not until I moved out!

We've been able to put our afghan's away for a bit of a warm(er) spell. This is a bit more like normal Virginia weather!

Have a great day!

~ Chocolate hearts ~

Stacey said...

Morning! Both recipes sound great and easy. I just made Chex mix yesterday. Hmmm, your crunch recipe sounds like it's just up our alley.

Unknown said...

Your home looks all snuggly and warm for CHristmas!

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Girlfriend:)
The snacks sound yummy...guess I won't THINK about dieting until Jan 1st :) unless the jeans won't zip up before then:)
It was fun to see your cookie jar collection:) DOn't think I'm going to any estate sale tomorrow. I'm working at HQ for 4 hours and will sleep in. We are going to a friends house for a soup dinner and may bring Jackson with to play with their new puppy...their idea:)
I'm trying to get my Christmas cards done and it's taking longer than I thought it would..so see you later.
Love,
Deb
and
Merry Christmas
I love saying that:)

Lindsay-ann said...

Hi Twyla
Thanks for sharing those recipes. They sound delicious. I loved the Christmas images around your home. We have a busy weekend ahead. We are decorating as we never got around to it last weekend and doing more Christmas shopping and card writing.
Best Wishes
Lindsay

Michelle Palmer said...

Thank you for the recipe!
Loved the peek at your cookie jars!
There is NEVER dust when friends visit~ :)
Your afghan's are beautiful...

Alexandra MacVean said...

Thanks for sharing the recipes, Twyla. I will try them out this weekend! Thank you also for stopping by and the encouragement.

Linda Lou said...

Sorry that you have such cold weather where you live!! it has been pleasant and in the 60s here but we are expecting a big rain storm, that's how we know its winter in San Diego! That snack recipe sounds delicious and easy to do!! Keep warm!

Nerissa Alford said...

OOh, those recipies look yummy! We're traveling to my parents & several other family members are too. I'm defintely going to make these munchies! Thank you for sharing.
Nerissa

Chanda said...

Hey girls, I love cameras that don't take pictures of dust. Are you ready for the snow and ice, they say its coming. I'm glad I have waited to put up my outside lights, the ice just tears them down. Merry Christmas
Shanda

Anonymous said...

Never mind, Twyla, the afghans are back out now! ;>

KatCollects said...

Hi Twyla,
Thank you for the recipes, and the reminder about giving what is most important : )
Hugs,
Kathy

Happy@Home said...

Thanks for the recipes. They sound yummy. How nice to snuggle up in an afghan that you made yourself. They are so pretty too.

Stay warm,
Kim

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Loved looking at the pictures. Thanks for sharing the recipes. Blessings, Kathleen

Dawn said...

Your recipes look so yummy and will come in soooo handy in 2 weeks when I have a brood of people over. And I love the snuggly-ness of your 'ghans --

Enjoy your holidays w/ family & loved ones --- Merry, merry Christmas, Twyla & Lindsey!

Free Art Printables said...

Great recipes. I can't believe there is only 13 days left!

Unknown said...

Hi Twyla, Love your cozy afghans. I too have the temp down to save on heating bills, so we have 3 throws on the couch. It is a sectional so one on each arm and one in the middle.

Did you make that advent calendar? It is too cute!

Anonymous said...

Are you SERIOUS, Twyla!? Only 13 more days?! Oh good grief! I haven't baked yet...Time to get to work and fill the freezer!
And I haven't done my cards yet...

I'm taking deep breaths! This isn't going to be stressful this year. One day at a time, one hour at a time.

It always gets done! :-)

Diane

Alexandra MacVean said...

Hi Twyla...hope you had a good weekend. It's supposed to get bad here tonight. Stay warm and may you have a wonderful week! :)

*hugs*

Protector of Vintage said...

Hi,
Love your Lollishop items....just my style. I placed an order and can't wait to receive my items. Take care~

Michele said...

Hi Twyla ~ I soooo remember that dip with the buddig's chipped beef...my mom used to make that all the time! Thanks for the recipes!

It's soooo cold here too...-15 with the wind chill this morning....yikes!

Hugz,
michele