Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas ltered Book Tutorial

Hello friends!
Today we are sharing a tutorial for creating an altered book!



 
 I picked up cheap books from thrift stores for this project. We are gluing the book together so that you will just have the one 2 page display as the focus. To glue your book together, start by opening your book up half way and glue the first page on front and back to the books covers. Now take sections of the book (about 10 - 15 pages) and staple them together. Repeat this until you have about 3 pages left on both sides at the middle of the book. Now glue together the stapled sections.





 
Now take those un-glued pages and rip, tear and crinkle them to give your book and old aged look.
Add brown ink around the edges to give it a more vintage look.


 


 
Now I want to give this book a fun look so I am adding drops of Christmas colors across the pages.
To achieve this look, take watered down paint or Distress ink Reinkers which I am using in your desired colors. Pour a little bit of the color liquid in the palm of your hand and just let it fall onto the book in random spots. You can add a little Perfect Pearl shimmer powder to your liquid to make the splatters sparkle.





 
Add 2 to 3 colors and let dry.





 
Now the fun part! Going through your stash and picking out embellishments to cover your book.
These chipboard stickers are by Cosmo Cricket.





 
I have been saving this sweet Sugar Kissed vintage sewing pattern image to use this year and just love how she looked on the book!





Here is the pattern so that you can use her for your own sugar kissed projects!


 

 
I took pink and red pipe cleaners and twisted them to create a festive border that I glued across the top and bottom of the book.





 
The scrapbook paper that I used on this project is by
October Afternoon from their Very Merry line.





 
It truly is fun to alter books and I hope you give it a try!

Wishing you a wonderful Wednesday,
Lindsey

6 comments:

Brigitta said...

Totally love this, very inspirational!!

Merry Christmas!!

Jenn (Triple J Designs) said...

I love this and can't wait to try it!!!
Thank you so much for sharing!!!

Unknown said...

Lindsey, this was an amazing tour and you make it sound so easy...I do believe it is!
Thank you so much for all the idea's you have given me over this last year.
I look towards more in 2011...
How about some Barbie crafts...tee hee!
Merry Christmas to you both. Hug to mom,
Jacqueline

Cindy said...

I love this! I have never done an altered book, but now I just might try it. Thanks.

Unknown said...

How about I just buy this one from you????? It is beautiful...you are so talented. Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year.
Denis

Dogwood said...

Darling as usual.
I love how you use so many different items for each project.
Very creative.