Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Twyla on Tuesday


Hello Ladies!
If you visited me last Tuesday you may
remember my venture into mixed media art.
Since then I have completed three more pieces!




The one above was inspired by black and white paper
on sepia toned background.  I painted the tree trunks in this piece.

The one below shows a little more painting.




Yesterday I spent some time in my studio
creating another piece.
First I start by gluing phone book pages
to a canvas.  Once dry, I squeeze on some paint
and enjoy creating what I want the background to look like.




I love the way the paper bubbles and creates
character.




My inspiration for this piece was a quilt pattern
called the Tree of Life.
I cut the small triangles from a sheet of Basic Grey
scrapbook paper.
Trying to get the pattern straight and gluing down these
little pieces made my head hurt!




Once I had that done, the fun part is finishing up with a pretty
border and adding any embellishments that I felt it needed.



This is such an enjoyable art form for me.
It has opened up all kinds of creative uses for my
collection of scrapbook papers.
I make my own decoupage medium also!
It's a 50/50 mix of Elmer's Glue
and water shaken together well.
Works great!

I am linking up with dear friend Holly,
at Cutie Pie Cottage, for her Dotty Hop Day!
My 'Tree of Life' has polka dots in the border!

Have a wonderful day!
Love, Twyla


14 comments:

Sarita Boyette said...

Twyla, you continue to amaze me! I love your artwork and the little girl you posted yesterday.
I haven't forgotten you - just have been slow at communicating. It is still so hot here - tomorrow it will probably break the record of 69 100 plus degree days that was made in 1980, the year the twins were born. I can hardly wait for winter! (((HUGS)))

Theresa said...

Beautiful work dear Lindsey! I love the use of a phone book, brilliant!!!

Have a blessed day, HUGS!

Tamera's Craft Palace said...

GORGEOUS!! The TRee of life haas given me some ideas and inspiration!

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

That is so cool! It's fun seeing what you can create. I must find some time to do some creating too!
Happy Tuesday.
Warmly,
deb

Anonymous said...

Well now, aren't you having fun with your new art form!? It's so creative and such a nice mix of different mediums!

Thank you so much for joining in for Dotty Hop Day today! I finally got one of the linkys to work! ♥

Cindy said...

Love the Tree of Life. It's perfect!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for using the link, girls! I wanted to do the little thumb nail picture one but that one didn't work. :(

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

So sweet! I especially love the house!!

Angela said...

Beautiful!!

Unknown said...

Happy Dotty Day! What an interesting process. I too love the way the paper crinkles. Beautiful work Twyla! Elizabeth

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Hi Twyla, I am loving these scrapbook paper collages you are making. Great work! My creative juices have run a bit dry at the moment. When I get home from school, I can't seem to think of much else other than keeping up with what needs to be done and relaxing a bit. Have a great rest of the week. Tammy

Unknown said...

LOVE your creations....they are gorgeous! You are really talented. Happy Fall Ya'll!

Shopgirl said...

You had a wonderful time and it shows...Hugs, mary

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

Thanks for linking up this totally rocking post at the Creative Bloggers’ Party & Hop :)